sexta-feira, 28 de fevereiro de 2014

Book Review: Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck



What I liked:

  • I liked the adventure part of the book. The places were great as was the pacing of the narrative;
  • I loved the mythology in the book. I thought it was very interesting how the book mixed reality and fantasy, and how the mythological aspect seemed to link both of these aspects;
  • I liked how the book moved forward, not pausing to talk about the past too much. Everything we needed to know about the characters' past was explaining through dialogue and recollection. But it was very bried and it didn't take much space. The story was there to give us the perspective we needed to understand the story not to relive it. 
What I didn't like:
  • No, Romeo and Juliet is not a love story. Romeo is not a good example of a romantic interest. No one will make me change my mind when it comes to him: I am absolutely sure that, even he hadn't died, he would have found another woman to be 'in love' with in the very next day. Romeo and Juliet were not in love, they were in lust. It is completely different. Stop using Shakespeare to make everything seem more fantastical or romantic when it is not;
  • Some dialogues, especially in the beginning, were pretty terrible and rushed;
  • The main character didn't freak out nearly enough in my opinion. She accepted everything too easily;
  • The whole 'I'm not like the other girls and I am not as pretty as you say I am therefore we cannot be together because you will change your mind and hurt me' trope. I absolutely loathe it.  Don't. Just don't. Girls are much more than their looks. This makes it seem like it is the only thing that matters;
  • Is it only me or there were too Rens in this story? One kind, intelligent, concerned about people, and the other egotistical, stupid, and pushy? It was like: one was there, then he turns tiger, then the other shows up, then he turns tiger.... and so on. 
I liked the story and I want to know what will happen to the brothers and how their curse will be broken. I'm just not sure if I want to read the other books to find out. 

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário